Before I embarked on my weightloss journey, the weekend was my time to let loose after working all week and really go hell for leather eating all around me. The one spot I definitely hit other than the local chinese was the ‘Chipper’. I love a Taco cheese chips and for me it is the ultimate ‘bad’ comfort food, that and a tub ‘Ben and Jerrys’ or two 😉 But you dont need all of that grease with my healthy version of the popular takeaway favourite. I hope you all enjoy as much as I do and of course have a fabulous healthy weekend. Take Care.
For the chili mince you will need:
- 250g grams of extra lean beef mince less than 98% fat-free.
- 200mls of Passata or 1/2 a can of chopped tomatoes.
- 1/2 a punnet of button mushrooms.
- 1 red pepper.
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste.
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic.
- 1 tbsp of white wine vinegar.
- 1 tbsp of Worchester sauce (lea and perrings).
- 1 tbsp of sweetener.
- 1 tsp of chili powder/fresh chilli. Add more if you like it spicy but taste first, you cam always add more.
- 1/4 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp of paprika.
- 1/4 tsp of dried/fresh oregano.
- 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- 1 beef stock cube/pot.
- 50mls of water.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 40g of low fat cheddar cheese.
For the taco sauce you will need:
- 4 tbsp of extra light mayonnaise.
- 2 tbsp of fat free fromage frais.
- 1/4 tsp of yellow american mustard.
- 1 tsp of tomato paste.
- 1 minced clove of garlic/garlic powder.
- Fresh black pepper.
- 1/4 tsp of chilli pepper.
- 1 tsp of water.
- Spray a wok or shallow pan with low calorie cooking spray, brown your extra lean beef mince, add the chopped mushrooms and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the dry spices and fry for 1 minute.
- I then add the beef stock cube, water, passata, tomato paste, Worchester sauce, white wine vinegar and sweetener to the pan, turn it down and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes until it has reduced by half and has a nice thick consistency.
- To make the taco sauce, add all of the ingredients to bowl and mix well.
I like to have this with homemade Chips (please see my Chicken curry post to see how I make my chips) topped with the chili mince, taco sauce and 40g of low fat cheddar cheese popped under the grill for 1 minute to melt the cheese. I also serve this with a fresh cos lettuce salad.