I think you can guess by now I have a very sweet tooth? So if you love sponge cake well this is the recipe for you, I have upgraded it a tad for a more autumnal feel considering we are just coming into winter, but you can add any flavoring you like.
- 4 eggs separated.
- 2 tbsp of castor sugar.
- 15 tbsp of sweetener.
- 10 tbsp of self raising flour.
- 1 tsp of baking powder.
- The zest and juice of 2 oranges and 1 lemon.
- 1 tbsp of mixed spice.
- Frylight for greasing.
- To a bowl add the egg yoke, castor sugar, zest of the oranges and lemon, 10 tbsp of the sweetener,baking powder, mixed spice and mix until thick and pale in color.
- Then fold the Sieved flour in the mix carefully as to not knock the air you have created.
- Add to a lined greased 6 inch deep cake pan or an 8 inch pan, and place in the oven at 180c for 25/30 minutes. I use a long cocktail stick to place into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean the cake is ready.
- While the cake is baking add the juice of the two oranges and lemon to a pan with 5 tbsp of sweetener and boil on high for 5 minutes.
- Place the cake on a wire rack and prick with a cocktail stick, spoon over the juice syrup and leave to cool. I also add a little zest when making the syrup as it gives a lovely over all finish.
- Serve with some fat free Greek yogurt sweetened and flavored with vanilla extract.